Friday, July 16, 2004

I'm mad. And that's a fact.

Last night I finally went to see what may be the most important film of
the year, Farrenheit 9/11 and I found myself simmering
and seething as the film went along. It wasn't so much what I was
seeing, but what I had forgotten in the last few years since that
fateful day in September 2001. Michael Moore reminded me of why George
Bush is not a man who should be president of this country. I am sorry
that you may be offended by that statement, but the man is less
qualified than a chimp to be in office. Michael Moore didn't have to
put a spin on it or show things out of context to prove it either. Just
by showing us things that didn't make it to the news he held up the
Dorian Gray-like painting that is G.W. Good looking to the outside
world, but a shallow decaying husk on the inside. I would urge you to
see this film if you haven't already. If you are a Republican you
should go see it too. This is a very powerful film with real human
emotion. Some of the imagery of the war in Iraq is a bit gruesome, but
is necessary to show the horror and senselessness of it all. There is
no good reason to be in Iraq at all, unless you are a big money friend
of G.W.

The political climate in this country is such that my wife's professed
Republican boss called her a communist for wanting to go see this film.
He claimed he was joking, but isn't democracy about having choices and
the ability to make those choices for yourself? After the movie we were
walking back to the car in the parking lot and Emily was afraid to
discuss the film in public because she couldn't be sure who was
listening and didn't want trouble. Where has this fear come from? We
are supposed to feel safer now, but our rights have been trampled by
the "Patriot Act" to the point where we don't feel comfortable enough
to discuss a political film in public, lest we be branded a "communist"
and "unpatriotic". I am sorry, but I love this country very much and I
refuse to let it get flushed down the toilet after G.W. is done
crapping on it.

I don't care if you vote for G.W. or not, but you must vote. This
election in November is waaaaay too important for the future of this
country. So get out and vote. If you aren't registered to vote, please
do so. It is supremely easy and takes just a few minutes of your time.
Many young men and women have sacrificed their lives to give us the
freedom to choose our leaders. Please honor their memory by getting out
to vote this November.

Alright, enough soapboxing.

My comic strip adventure continues slowly. I hope to get some more work
done this weekend. We shall see. I will continue to keep you apprised
of any progress.

Feeling better now that I have vented,

--Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home