Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Howdy again folks,

I am still working on the calender. Things have been a little crazy. Work is a bit nuts right now, but it is the holidays so that is a given.

Last night the drawing board beckoned to me after I turned the computer off and was headed downstairs for much needed sleep. I really should have gone to sleep since I had to be up at 430am, but i felt compelled to do some drawing. I have had a cartoon sitting there unfinished for a while. I have worked on it in little drips and drabs since September. Last night I put some finishing touches on it. I just need to hit it with some whiteout to cover up a few mistakes with the ink brush, but it is basically done. Not feeling satisfied, I pulled out an unfinished "One Hour Comic Strip" from a few years ago and started to ink it. I had actually started drawing this one back when I was in Arizona, but never got to the ink stage for some reason. So I am finally committing the black stuff to the board to finish it. In true spirit of "One Hour Comic Strip" I worked quickly and did 2 and a half panels plus all the lettering in about 20 minutes. Still have 2 and a half panels left plus the logo.

A quick word about the "One Hour Comic Strip". The concept derives from something that was going around in comic book circles back in the mid 90s call the 24 hour comic book. The object of the exercise was to create a 24 page comic book in just 24 hours. The purpose was to help the artist take creating down to a gut level instinct. With no time for revisions, you have to learn to make descisions fast. Almost like playing in a band live before a studio audience. You just have to go. Now since I just draw a single page strip and not full comic books, I thought that I should break it down to that smallest form 1 page=1 hour. My object is to create a completed 1 page comic strip from start to finish in just 1 hour. i don't think I have ever actually succeeded completely. I have written and drawn in less than an hour, but when you add inking in to the mix I usually clock in at about 90 minutes to 2 hours. Still pretty speedy when all I started with was a blank page.

I might try to do a few more of these just as exercises for me. I want to create some new strips for the 200 page book and it will probably be a good way to help me get back in the swing of things. My cartoons have definitely gotten sloppier but I need to unjam the ideas in my head so i just have to get them out for now. I may share a few of these soon on the site, but for now they remain private.

Talk to you all soon!
---Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home