Thursday, September 30, 2004

Remnants is a new series of cartoons I am starting for the book. I am about halfway done with the first one. Remnants is basically Dougside done smaller. I have a bunch of leftover pieces of bristol board that I had cut down from larger pages. These are too small to make a full size 10" x 15" page that I usually work with, but too large to throw away. They are a good size for 3-4 panel strips though and I thought I'd give it a try. When I first started cartooning way back when I had always done comic books, so my storytelling has always been geared toward full page layouts. In college, just before I started doing Dougside, I did do a few "strip" style cartoons. These were done in conjunction with a politcal column by Jim Geraci for Generation Magazine called "On The Sly Side". Jim wrote them and I drew them, making a few adjustments to help make it fit the format better. I think I only did about 5 or 6 of these during the semester since his column wasn't in every week, so my experience with this format is very light. but I am excited to give it another go. I have a bunch of strip ideas that don't really seem like they'd be right for a full page, but in a 3-4 panel format they would be perfect. They are also easier to draw. I wrote, layed out and started inking/lettering in just one evening and am about halfway done already!

I am excited about getting these done and will be scanning these in and posting them on the regular website as they occur.

Keep your eyes peeled for these little tasters of the latest Dougside book.

I am gearing up for re-opening the Dougside store at Cafepress soon. It will be a bit more limited than last time, but should be cool. I will probably only be offering a few things at a time for constricted periods of time. I'll let you know when this gets off the ground.

Curling season is coming up soon which means that my proposed video documentary of the Albany Curling Club's 50 year history is going to get underway very soon. Will mean a lot of work, but should be fun.

Talk to you all soon,


---Doug

Don't forget to vote on November 2!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home