Wednesday, June 02, 2004

45 minutes.

That is how long I worked last night on my new comic strip! 45 minutes of bliss for me! I sketched in the idea on the bristol board with my blue pencil, then roughed in and tighten the pencils a bit indicated some of the areas that I will fill in with black or perhaps some zip-a-tone. Then I used my Ames lettering guide and layed out the words. I busted open the inkwell and began inking the figures and used my #3 rapidiograph tech pen to begin finishing up the lettering. I usually ink the lettering first on my strips to ensure I have enough room for them. If I need to rearrange some art or re-draw, I will. I find this works best for me. I am really looking forward to tonight when I can get back to the drawing table and work on this some more...I may even stay up really late just to finish! I have the day off tomorrow, so why not??

In other notes of interest...If you are wondering what that jangly staccato guitar music is on the latest Mitsubishi ad (the one with the two cars speeding towards to end of a bridge in order to test the brakes) it is none other than Uncontrollable Urge by one of my favorite bands, DEVO! Their music has been showing up a lot lately in the most unlikely places, quite a pleasant surprise for this fan I must say!

Let's see:

Beautiful World was featured in a series of ads for Target
Freedom of Choice was featured in a beer ad (the one with all the dominoing people)
Whip It was sung by the cast of American Idol a few weeks back
and now this.

My question now is this...Since Bob Seegar was recently elected into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame it seems like they will vote in anyone who has had their music played in commercials, so is the time ripe now for DEVO, one of the greatest influences on popular music in the late 70's and early 80's to get their due?

Feel free to discuss by adding your comments by clicking the link below!


-----Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home