Saturday, February 07, 2004

Howdy again folks,

just checking in with a quick Oscar Update.

I took in Soffia Coppola's LOST IN TRANSLATION last night. I can see why it might be considered for Best picture and some of the other nods it has gotten, but it was a bit on the boring side. And as my good friend John Alspaugh suggested, I was a little put off by the moral ambiguity of the main characters. I won't give it away for anyone who has yet to see the film, but at some point the sympathy we feel for the characters is subverted by an act of immorality that had my head scratching just a bit. I guess I could see it happening, but wasn't that happy with the descision the character made. Fine acting performances all the way around, but I thought Murray had done better work in RUSHMORE and THE ROYAL TENNENBAUMS.

Also watched a bit of THIRTEEN. I did not like this film at all. Very depressing and gloomy with not much going for it. It reminded me a lot of the feeling I got watching SID AND NANCY, which is to say, not a good one. I understand the need to tell cautionary fables in film, but with no redeeming qualities whatsoever in any of the characters, it is hard to stomach and watch. Interesting, but ultimately not my cup of tea.

Still working on some new drawings. I am away for the weekend this week and I brought my sketchbook with me to do some writing, I might actually get some done as long as I get off the computer!

Ciao for now fight fans,

-----Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home